County Library Service opened town library
Dawley Library Service started in the town in 1949. It was located in what had been the small red brick Congregational Chapel at the top of New Street. It was the first branch library in the county to have full-time professional staff. The library service moved out of the chapel to their purpose-built new premises in King Street in 1973.