Public Park opened
A public park and recreation ground was opened in 1901 on a site between Dawley National School and George Street, given to the town by W. S. Kenyon-Slaney and H. C. Simpson. Tennis courts and a bowling green were made there in 1922. Part of the site had previously been a cricket ground, apparently given to the parish in the mid 19th century. The park has gates on its Doseley Road entrance which were erected as a memorial to those who lost their lives in WW1.
(© Courtesy of Ironbridge Gorge Museum Trust)