Temperance Hall built - later became Town Hall
Originally built as a Temperance Hall in 1873, the building subsequently passed to Dawley Urban District Council who adopted it as the Town Hall. The Council let the building for public meetings, concerts and dances. It was a variety theatre with regular shows in the 1920s and 30s. After the Second World War, a nonconformist group used it, and in 1958 it held Roman Catholic services because of the lack of a Catholic church in town.
(© Courtesy of Kath Peel)