Holy Trinity Church rebuilt
Architectural evidence and reference to there having been a priest of Dawley in 1186-7, suggest that there was a chapel at Great Dawley before the end of the 12th century. The old church had been constructed out of local sandstone and was a few yards SE of the present church. It was small and had had a tower, chancel, nave with south porch. It had fallen into a state of disrepair and local mine workings had made it unsafe. Consequently four large stone buttresses had been built on the south side and one at the east end to shore up the walls. St Leonard’s church was consecrated in 1805 at Malins Lee, it was with the intention that it would take over the role of parish church from Holy Trinity church , especially as the majority of parishioners were living in the north of the parish around the Dawley Green, Malins Lee and Old Park areas. The five bells, communion plate and chalice were moved to the new church at Malins Lee. Legend has it that these were taken by Dawley parishioners one night and returned to Holy Trinity church when it was rebuilt in 1845.